William C. “Bubba” Head, Criminal Defense Attorney Atlanta, is a nationally-known book author and seminar speaker for criminal defense lawyers. A LIFE Member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) for over two decades, Mr. Head has spoken at over a dozen national legal seminars sponsored by NACDL, and at over 300 other legal programs in his 41 years of practice.
His most common topics are crimes involving alcohol and drugs, and the forensic science that criminal defense lawyers must know and understand to competently defend their clients. This extra level of comprehension of drunk driving defense has led to his representation of athletes, politicians, news personalities and musicians over his four-decade career.
Building a National Network with Top DUI-DWI Lawyers in America
After training over 8000 other criminal justice attorneys, Mr. Head has developed a loyal group of top-rated DUI-DWI and criminal lawyers in every state. Some connections came through NCDD and many more came from NACDL, GACDL and DUIDLA. His AVVO profile has over 130 lawyer reviews of his acumen as a DUI defense attorney, and a similar number of client-generated attorney ratings in the same AVVO profile.
These connections assist him in referring business, when he receives calls from out-of-state, and allows him to get quick answers to questions that arise for clients represented by Bubba Head in Georgia, who happen to live (or are licensed) in another state. William C. Head and his two Super Lawyer partners, Larry Kohn and Cory Yager, get in excess of 100 new cases annually from their criminal defense lawyer friends in other states, for person s arrested in Georgia.
A seasoned trial lawyer with 41 years of experience, Mr. Head is renowned across the United States as an authority on criminal defense and criminal trial practice. In 1973, he earned his bachelor’s degree in history (with honors) from the University of Georgia before going on to receive his law degree from UGA’s School of Law in 1976.
Mr. Head remains active within a number of professional legal organizations, including the National College for DUI Defense, which he co-founded. He is a lifetime member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers as well as the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Mr. Head is also a member of:
- The American Association for Justice
- The American Trial Lawyers Association
- The American Bar Association
- The Atlanta Bar Association
- The Cobb County Bar Association
Awards for Being the Best DUI Lawyer in Atlanta and in America
Among lawyers for DUI defense, the skills Bubba Head has developed for winning complex criminal cases originally became known in the Athens GA area. During the early years of his practice, he handled felony and misdemeanor cases of all types, including murder, burglary, aggravated assault, domestic violence, shoplifting, child abandonment, and drug possession.
After starting the National College for DUI Defense (along with 11 other drunk driving book authors and DUI lawyers from other states), the Georgia criminal defense attorney had the honor of being named by the full membership of NCDD as the best DUI lawyer in America, in 2003. See photo of DUI Lawyer Head and the trophy below.
In addition to this unique distinction, DUI attorney Atlanta Bubba Head was twice named as the best DUI lawyer in Atlanta, in 2012 and 2017, by Best Lawyers in America. The 2012 award included a short profile of Mr. Head’s career as Georgia’s leading DUI defense attorney.
One Central Skill has Propelled Mr. Head’s Career:
Starting in the 1990s, as drunk driving enforcement and onerous Georgia DUI laws were enacted, his criminal law practice evolved into him being known as a DUI specialist who knew how to beat a DUI. Coincidentally, Atlanta attorney Bubba Head had co-authored and release the first-ever book for citizens on how to win a DUI case, 101 Ways to Avoid a Drunk Driving Conviction, in 1991. The drunk driving book sold 12,000 copies.
Other distinctions Mr. Head holds include:
- Board Certified by the ABA through the National College for DUI Defense since 2000.
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America every year since 2009
- Selected to Super Lawyers of Georgia for 14 straight years
- For over two decades, has held an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the nation’s oldest peer-review lawyer ratings organization, which posts attorney reviews and rankings that reflect litigation skills as well as ethical standards. AV and Preeminent signify the highest possible skill level and ethical standards.
- Authored The DUI Book, the standard reference tool used by DUI defense attorneys across the nation, as well as several other landmark DUI and criminal defense books
- Featured in USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the National Law Journal, Lawyers Weekly USA, and various other national publications
- Delivered keynote speech for the Toxicology Section of the American Academy of Forensic Science (AAFS) in 2012, distinguishing himself as the only criminal defense attorney to ever do so
- Invited to speak at national and international conferences and seminars on DUI and criminal defense, including a 2008 presentation to ICADTS in Seattle, Washington, as well as AAFS (mentioned above).